Recent GLERL Publications:
(See also All GLERL Publications,
Note: Although not all publications are available via our website, electronic copies may be available. Contact the publications office at email@example.com.
- LIU, Q., M.D. ROWE, E.J. ANDERSON, C.A. STOW, and T.H. JOHENGEN. Probabilistic forecast of microcystin toxin using satellite remote sensing, in situ observations and numerical modeling. Environmental Modelling & Software 128(DOI:10.1016/j.envsoft.2020.104705) (2020). https://www.glerl.noaa.gov/pubs/fulltext/2020/20200012.pdf
- ROWLAND, F., C.A. STOW, T.H. JOHENGEN, A.M. BURTNER, D.A. PALLADINO, D.C. GOSSIAUX, T.W. Davis, L.T. Johnson, and S.A. RUBERG. Recent patterns in Lake Erie phosphorus and chlorophyll a concentrations in response to changing loads. Environmental Science and Technology 54(2):835-841 (DOI:10.1021/acs.est.9b05326) (2020).
- STOW, C.A., K. GLASSNER-SHWAYDER, D.H. LEE, L. Wang, G. Arhonditsis, J.V. DePinto, and M.R. Twiss. Lake Erie phosphorus targets: An imperative for active adaptive management. Journal of Great Lakes Research 46(3)(DOI:10.1016/j.jglr.2020.02.005) (2020).
- STOW, C.A., Q. LIU, and E.J. ANDERSON. Nutrient loading and nonstationarity: The importance of differentiating the independent effects of tributary flow and nutrient concentration. WIREs Water 7(1)(DOI:10.1002/wat2.1396) (2020).
- Qian, S.S., C.A. STOW, F.A. Nojavan, J. Stachelek, Y.K. Cha, I.M. Alameddine, and P.A. Soranno. The implications of Simpson's paradox for cross-scale inference among lakes. Water Research 163(DOI:10.1016/j.watres.2019.114855) (2019).
- ROWE, M.D., E.J. ANDERSON, D. BELETSKY, C.A. STOW, S.D. Moegling, J.D. Chaffin, J.C. May, P.D. Collingsworth, A. Jabbari, and J.D. Ackerman. Coastal Upwelling Influences Hypoxia Spatial Patterns and Nearshore Dynamics in Lake Erie. Journal of Geophysical Research: Oceans 124(8):6154-6175 (DOI:10.1029/2019JC015192) (2019).
- Sundstrom, S.M., D.G. Angeler, C. Barichievy, T. Eason, A.S. Garmestani, L. Gunderson, M. Knutson, K.L. Nash, T. Spanbauer, C.A. STOW, and C.R. Allen. The distribution and role of functional abundance in cross‐scale resilience. Ecology 99(11):2421-2432 (DOI:10.1002/ecy.2508) (2018). https://www.glerl.noaa.gov/pubs/fulltext/2019/20190004.pdf
- Weiskerger, C.J., M.D. ROWE, C.A. STOW, D. STUART, and T.H. JOHENGEN. Application of the Beer–Lambert Model to Attenuation of Photosynthetically Active Radiation in a Shallow, Eutrophic Lake. Water Resources Research 54(11):8952-8962 (DOI:10.1029/2018WR023024) (2018).
- Barichievy, C., D.G. Angeler, T. Eason, A.S. Garmestani, K.L. Nash, C.A. STOW, S.M. Sundstrom, and C.R. Allen. A method to detect discontinuities in census data. Ecology and Evolution (DOI:10.1002/ece3.4297) (2018). https://www.glerl.noaa.gov/pubs/fulltext/2018/20180019.pdf (IN PRESS)
- Filstrup, C.T., T. Wagner, S.K. Oliver, C.A. STOW, K.E. Webster, E.H. Stanley, and J.A. Downing. Evidence for regional nitrogen stress on chlorophyll a in lakes across large landscape and climate gradients. Limnology and Oceanography 63(S1):S324-S339 (DOI:doi.org/10.1002/lno.10742) (2018). https://www.glerl.noaa.gov/pubs/fulltext/2017/20170036.pdf
- Glaspie, C.N., M. Clouse, A.T. Adamack, Y.K. Cha, S.A. Ludsin, D.M. MASON, M.R. Roman, C.A. STOW, and S.B. Brandt. Effect of hypoxia on diet of Atlantic bumper Chloroscombrus chrysurus in the northern Gulf of Mexico Transactions of the American Fisheries Society 147(4):740-748 (DOI:10.1002/tafs.10063) (2018). https://www.glerl.noaa.gov/pubs/fulltext/2018/20180007.pdf
- STOW, C.A., K.E. Webster, T. Wagner, N.R. Lottig, P.A. Soranno, and Y.K. Cha. Small values in big data: The continuing need for appropriate metadata. Ecological Informatics 45:26-30 (DOI:10.1016/j.ecoinf.2018.03.002) (2018). https://www.glerl.noaa.gov/pubs/fulltext/2018/20180002.pdf
- Lottig, N.R., P.-N. Tan, T. Wagner, K.S. Cheruvelil, P.A. Soranno, E.H. Stanley, C.E. Scott, C.A. STOW, and S. Yuan. Macroscale patterns of synchrony identify complex relationships among spatial and temporal ecosystem drivers. Ecosphere 8(12)(2017). https://www.glerl.noaa.gov/pubs/fulltext/2017/20170035.pdf
- Oliver, S.K., S.M. Collins, P.A. Soranno, T. Wagner, E.H. Stanley, J.R. Jones, C.A. STOW, and N.R. Lottig. Unexpected stasis in a changing world: Lake nutrient and chlorophyll trends since 1990. Global Change Biology 23(12):5455-5467 (DOI:10.1111/gcb.13810) (2017). https://www.glerl.noaa.gov/pubs/fulltext/2017/20170028.pdf
- Soranno, P.A., (among 23 others), and C.A. STOW. A multi-scaled geospatial and temporal database of lake ecological context and water quality for thousands of U.S. lakes. GigaScience 6(12):1-22 (DOI:10.1093/gigascience/gix101) (2017). https://www.glerl.noaa.gov/pubs/fulltext/2017/20170033.pdf
- Nojavan, F.A., S.S. Qian, and C.A. STOW. Comparative analysis of discretization methods in Bayesian networks. Environmental Modeling & Software 87:64-71 (DOI:10.1016/j.envsoft.2016.10.007) (2017).
- Reavie, E.D., G.V. Sgro, L.R. Estepp, A.J. Bramburger, V.L. Shaw Chraibi, R.W. Pillsbury, M. Cai, C.A. STOW, and A. Dove. Climate warming and changes in Cyclotella sensu lato in the Laurentian Great Lakes. Limnology and Oceanography 62(2):768-783 (DOI:10.1002/lno.10459) (2017). https://www.glerl.noaa.gov/pubs/fulltext/2017/20170008.pdf
- Sundstrom, S.M., T. Eason, R.J. Nelson, D.G. Angeler, C. Barichievy, A.S. Garmestani, N.A.J. Graham, D. Granholm, L. Gunderson, M. Knutson, K.L. Nash, T. Spanbauer, C.A. STOW, and C.R. Allen. Detecting spatial regimes in ecosystems. Ecology Letters 20(1):19-32 (DOI:10.1111/ele.12709) (2017). https://www.glerl.noaa.gov/pubs/fulltext/2017/20170010.pdf
- Bertani, I., D.R. Obenour, C.E. Stegera, C.A. STOW, A.D. GRONEWOLD, and D. Scavia. Probabilistically assessing the role of nutrient loading in harmful algal bloom formation in western Lake Erie. Journal of Great Lakes Research 42:1184-1192 (DOI:10.1016/j.jglr.2016.04.002) (2016).
- Cha, Y.K., I.M. Alameddine, S.S. Qian, and C.A. STOW. A cross-scale view of N and P using a Bayesian hierarchical model. Limnology and Oceanography (DOI:10.1002/lno.10375) (2016). https://www.glerl.noaa.gov/pubs/fulltext/2016/20160037.pdf
- Chaffin, B.C., A.S. Garmestani, D.G. Angeler, D.L. Hermann, C.A. STOW, M. Nystrom, J. Sendzimir, M.E. Hopton, J. Kolasa, and C.R. Allen. Biological invasions, ecological resilience and adaptive governance. Journal of Environmental Management 183, Part 2:399-407 (DOI:10.1016/j.jenvman.2016.04.040) (2016).
* denotes speaker
- STOW, C.A. Saginaw Bay nutrients: Not that much has changed recently. State of Lake Huron 2019, Saginaw, Mich., Oct. 9, 2019. IAGLR (2019).
- STOW, C.A. Saginaw Bay Nutrient Update. Saginaw Bay Nutrient Technical Workshop, December 18, 2018. International Joint Commission (2018).
- BELETSKY, D., R. BELETSKY, E.J. ANDERSON, M.D. ROWE, S.A. RUBERG, T.H. JOHENGEN, and C.A. STOW. Observations and modeling of summer hydrodynamics of Lake Erie in support of coastal hypoxia forecasting. ELLS-IAGLR, Evian, France, Sept. 23-28, 2018 (2018).
- GILL, D., M.D. ROWE, C.A. STOW, and S. Moegling. Applying Natural and Social Science to Co-produce a Hypoxia Forecast with Public Water Systems. IAGLR 2018, 61st Conference on Great Lakes Research, Toronto, ON, Canada, June 18-22 (2018).
- ROWE, M.D., E.J. ANDERSON, S.A. RUBERG, D. BELETSKY, H. ZHANG, T.H. JOHENGEN, S. Moegling, E.M. Verhamme, and C.A. STOW. Coastal upwelling dynamics influence spatial patterns of hypoxia and nearshore hypoxia events in the central basin of Lake Erie (poster). AGU Ocean Sciences Meeting, Portland, Ore., February 12-16 (2018).
- STOW, C.A., Q. Liu, and E.J. ANDERSON. The Spurious Correlation Between Phosphorus Load and Eutrophication. IAGLR 2018, 61st Conference on Great Lakes Research, Toronto, ON, Canada, June 18-22 (2018).