|Check out the Summary Report generated after this workshop, Aug 2001|
The meeting will take place on the MTU campus; it is within walking distance from downtown hotels.
A block of rooms are reserved in two hotels for Aug 19-23. Tell them it's for the KITES/EEGLE group.
- Super 8 (35 rooms blocked). On the waterfront. $45 single, $50 double.
906-482-2240; ask for Peggy
Block canceled on July 17th
- Frankin Square Inn Best Western (15 rooms blocked). Downtown. $69.
906-487-1700; ask for Tammy Schulze
Block canceled on August 4th
- Rooms are also available, though not reserved, at MTU Memorial Union (on campus)
Queen rooms: $50
Queen suites: $80
Approximate driving times- from Mpls: 6.5 h; from Duluth: 4 h; Green Bay: 5 h; Milwaulkee: 6 h; Chicago: 8 h; Ann Arbor: 11 h
Fly NW (via Mesaba airlink) directly to Houghton/Hancock. There are several flights per day from either Detroit or Minneapolis. ***Summer service is limited due to runway construction.***
May also be convenient to fly into:
Marquette MI: 2 h drive
Ironwood, MI: 2 h
For those of you new to the area, City information and map of Houghton is available. The university campus is located on M-41 just east of town.
Meeting times and locations (pdf)
Each day we will begin in Chem. Sci. & Engr. Bldg Room 211. See campus map. The Chem. Sci.& Engr. Bldg is building #19 on map. Visitor parking is available in a small lot in front of Bldg #13 on map.
See Full Agenda
General themes and goals:
- Present outlines of manuscripts to be submitted to the special issue.
- For each ms, address these two questions:
Where X includes: sediments, physics, biogeochemistry, ecology, optics/remote sensing, modeling
- What information from group X could enhance this paper?
- How might the results in this paper contribute to X?
- Allow ms authors time to meet and work together (lots of discussion time).
- Synthesizing each individual program.
- Begin overall synthesis: compare the two lake systems.
- Discuss future research directions for Great Lakes.
I have also asked Rick Jahnke if he'd be willing to speak about how best to synthesize this type of interdisciplinary project.
We plan to provide space for small groups to work intensively during the "work times". There is also a suggestion that we have some post-dinner sessions.
We have fabulous weather in August. There are several nearby state parks, many local beaches (Portage Lake and Superior), and lots of hiking trails. The ferry to Isle Royale National Park leaves from Houghton.
Dr. Sarah A. Green, Associate Professor
Michigan Technological University
1400 Townsend Drive
Houghton, Michigan 49931
906/487-3419 lab: 487-2177 fax: 487-2061
KITES project Coordinator